Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Ibuprofen Withdrawl

I have taken the anti-inflammation drug Ibuprofen since I was a teen who learned they were magic on the abysmal menstrual cramps I used to get every month like clockwork. So began my love affair with the NSAID of my dreams. See, the thing about being a person who has grown too fat for her own skeleton to support is that there is a ton of pain associated with severe obesity. I got migraines; I'd take ibuprofen. It was always in my purse for the back pain, foot pain, knee pain, or any other kind of pain I would have. I would take 600 mills and always with food. But I did this close to daily for 30 years, give or take. Wow. So is it any wonder that I woke up in the middle of the night a few weeks ago with what felt like a heart attack: chest pain, nausea, upper back pain that would not go away. It started at 3 am. When it had not stopped by 5 am, I had my sister take me to the ED. Luckily, it was not my heart. Sadly, it was a hole in my belly and another in my esophagus. Just like that, I had to break up with my beloved of 30 yrs, Ibuprofen. I have tried all the anti-inflammation foods and spices. I take Ginger and Turmeric and eat avocados and pineapple and a whole host of other things, including an Omega-3 supplement. I have glucosamin and condroitin and MSM for my joints. I have eliminated sugar and gluten and grains, any other inflammation causing foods. Still my knees swell and ache, sill my back wakes me up every day in the middle of the night and robs me of sleep. The only thing that will help is taking off the weight. I know this, and I am doing it. In the mean time, all this pain is super depressing. I hobble like an old lady and waddle like a penguin. It is super embarrassing. So here's to feeling better in every way in the new year. Keeping the faith that as I shrink, so will the pain.

No comments: