Monday, October 13, 2008

Day Nineteen- "Mallory Bars"

I love Lara bars but I don't love paying $1.59 each for them. I decided to try to make my own, since it seems like pretty simple ingredients. I made my first attempt last night with an apple, a cup of raw, soaked almonds, 6 dates and a couple of handfuls of raisins. I processed it all in my food processor and added a few sprinkles of cinnamon. I made them into granola-bar shapes and put them in the dehydrator. This morning, I tasted one and it was soooooo good. I could have eaten them all right then and there. My teen daughter took 2 and wanted more. (I only had about 6 total so I had to stash a few. When you have hungry teens, there are two kinds of people: the quick and the hungry!) I am so proud to be sharing my first raw recipe invention. Or rather, rip-off of someone else's recipe invention. Whatev.

Mallory Bars

1 large organic Fuji apple, cored and quartered but with skins left on
1 c. soaked raw almonds
6 dates (any kind) not soaked
1/2 c. raisins

Process all ingredients in a food processor or Vitamix until it is the consistancy of oatmeal. Form into bars, 1 inch wide by 4 inches long and 1 inch high. Dehydrate on Telflex sheets turning once half-way through until dry on the outside but still moist and chewy. Enjoy! Store extras in the refrigerator.

No comments: