Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Juicy Life--Day 12 of My 40 Day Juice Feast

What I'm Excited About: I "came out" to my family over the weekend about my juice feasting. My ex-Mother-in-law has us over for dinner once a week, and God bless her, she tries. She can barely manage to cook vegetarian, and doesn't fully understand the whole vegan thing at all, so we get some interesting meals that make me smile. On 4th of July we had "hot dogs" that were Morning Star soy breakfast sausage links in white bread buns. lol Needless to say, I stuck with the fruit salad and corn on the cob. But she had already told me she thinks the raw food diet is "dangerous" and she "had a tennant who got very sick on it." I could have told her all the amazing stories of people I know who have gotten very well on it, like oh, you know, ME, but I know I would be talking to a very well-meaning brick wall. So I mostly just hush my mouth and do what I need to do. So I was worried that she would flip out about the juice feast. And yet, I had to tell her, because she would wonder why I wasn't eating her food. So I presented it to her this way, "I am on a spiritual fast. I appreciate all you do for us so much, I just wanted you to know so that you would not think I don't enjoy your food, because I really do. I will enjoy just having your company and your love." Luckily, she is a very religious woman, and she approved of it completely! She especially liked that I am doing it for 40 days. "That's doing it just right, like Moses and Noah and Jesus." I was all, "I know, right?!" People can really surprise you.



Contrast that with me telling my own mom and her reaction: "Oh I figured you were doing something weird. You always are. You know I love you. You look great, you tell me you feel great, just do what you need to do." Good old Mom!



What Day I'm On: 12 out of 40

How's It Going: It's going good again. I am getting used to the strong-tasting juice. I am also adding more flavoring like basil and ginger (not together!) and carrot juice, just a little, for sweetening. This has helped the flavor a lot.



I'm not getting hungry any more, which makes things much easier. (haha as I wrote that, my tummy growled. Ok, I am not getting SUPER hungry any more, which helps.)



One huge side benefit: All this low glycemic juice seems to really be starving my candida overgrowth. I have struggled with candida for a long time, easily getting painful, stinky skin outbreaks (sexy!) For years and years I would just manage, taking probiotics, keeping the areas really clean and dry, using zinc cream, etc. Now, I can tell it is just going away, period. My skin has never felt softer or looked better.

What I'm Drinking: Lemon water and MSM upon rising. 4 quarts green veggie juice: romaine/cucumber/celery, kale/cucumber/lemon, tomato/red bell pepper/basil.



Detox? Not so's you'd notice.

Emotional Detox? Better today. Dave had some good perspective on this.


Emotional De-cluttering? Talking to Dave and just processing all these feelings.



Advice From Dave: Dave and I talked about emotional detox. He said that he thinks that it is worse, the heavier you are. This can be for several reasons. For one thing, if you are really, very heavy, as Dave and I were, you are most likely a compulsive eater. So you may have been stuffing emotions with food. Having no food to stuff means you are just having to deal with the emotions with no numbing compounds to soften them. This can make it feel very strange and more intense. Try to just roll with it, don't get rocked by every wind.



Another theory that he and I share is a little more "woo-woo" but I will present it here for your consideration. When we ate the food to stuff down the emotions, the emotional energy got stored in the fat cells, along with toxins and everything else. When we are releasing the fat and the toxins through juice feasting, the emotional energy is released also. This can be really helpful to understand, especially when the emotions you're having now don't seem to have anything to do with what is happening now. I had a couple of days where I was mad as a wet cat, for no reason at all. This could explain it.



The last theory, which I think has a lot of merit, is that toxins stored in fat cells are very psycho-active. They mess with your brain, in other words, including your emotions. While it's better to have that stuff out of you for sure, while you're processing the junk out of your system you can suffer the ill effects again.



Dave said that especially men are sensitive to the emotional detox symptoms, and get more freaked out by them in his experience. Women, because our hormones mess with us on a regular basis, seem to do better with it. Dave says remember it is nothing to be ashamed of or worried about, and most important, the cleaner you get, the more it will GO AWAY. Amen to that!



Make it a juicy day!

No comments: