Friday, August 20, 2010

The Juicy Life--Day 15 of My 40 Day Juice Feast

I want to try to answer questions along the way, so if you have them, shoot them my way. I am by no means an expert, but I love doing the research and sharing it.

There was a question about MSM. Here are some highlights I found on the net:


MSM is biological sulfur, which may...

Remove inflammation; permit muscles and joints to heal more rapidly
Increase energy, alertness, mental calmness, and ability to concentrate
Reduce muscle cramps and spasms
Plays a role in collagen synthesis: skin becomes softer, more resilient, hair and nails grow faster and stronger (the beauty mineral)

Help to normalize stomach function
Help relieve heartburn and GERD
Help relieve allergies to foods and pollens

Help create an internal environment unfriendly to many types of parasites
Helps with diabetic neuropathy of the extremities and gastrointestinal tract
Speed wound healing, reduces scar tissue
Stimulate immune function

Next to oxygen, water, and salt, MSM is the fourth most needed
element in human and animal nutrition. Sulfur is involved in nearly
every metabolic process in the body, and is essential in the
regeneration and nourishment of healthy cells.

Penni said that all the MSM on her juice feast made her nails go from peeling and thin to strong as the other kind of nails. To absorb the MSM optimally, it is best to take it with a citrus juice. That is why everyone seems to take it with lemon water or citrus punch (a mix of orange, grapefruit, and lemon or lime juice.)

What Day I'm On: 15 out of 40 (37% of the way)

How's It Going? Yesterday was tough. I had a migraine all day, and I chose not to take any drugs. I should tell you, I used to have a virtual pharmacy in my bathroom. I did not believe in suffering. I had an over-the-counter remedy for any condition you can name. As I have been getting more healthy, I have stopped all the OTC's, and been able to get off of my prescription drugs too. The only thing I was still taking, prior to the juice feast, was one blood pressure med which had a side effect of stopping my migraines. I had cut it down to a half-dose, but I was still taking it. (I monitor my blood pressure VERY regularly! Please do NOT go off your BP meds without your health practitioner's approval! I got approval from mine!) I also took a lot of ibuprofen, because being this heavy causes enormous amounts of pain in your body: sore feet, back aches, knee pain, etc. I had really cut back on the ibuprofen, but not cut it out until the juice feast.

So here came my monthly cycle, and like it has since I was 12, a migraine came with it. I thought I was "over" them because the blood pressure medication was preventing them. Now, I was hoping that my substantial weight release (110 lbs or more) had balanced my hormones enough that I might not get one. I have to say, it was not as severe as I have had in the past.

Anyway, I am proud of myself for not giving in and taking pain medication. I am really trying to do a full detox, and to make drugs a part of my past. I still have some remnants of the headache today, but not as bad. I am going to the gym so maybe I will sit in the hot tub and see if that helps.

What I'm Drinking: I tried adding some jalapeno to my juice because Penni talks about a Pico De Gallo juice in Real Juice Daily that sounded really good. Plus, I am getting in a rut with my kale, romaine, cucumber, tomato, and red bell pepper. I decided I do not love jalapeno! But it did taste like salsa, which was bomb. I am going to try half as much today. I am a wimp when it comes to hot! lol

Detox: Migraine, probably due to hormones rather than detox, but who's to say there isn't some detox going on?

Emotional Detox: Feeling kinda down, again, I blame Aunt Flo, my least favorite relative

Advice from Dave:

The extremely awesome Momdebbie commented yesterday with some great advice from her talk with Dave, and I wanted to make sure no one missed it because I know I don't always read all the comments on other people's posts. A huge shout out to Momdebbie for being on day 6 of her own juice feast! She is building her discipline muscles and curing her diabetes and I could not be more proud of her!! This is what she wrote:

1. Never - EVER be without your juice! Dave said this is especially imperative to those like he and I who have had diabetic issues or other health concerns. He prepares 3 gallons of juice at a time to take with
him on the road and drinks a gallon per day. He also takes juicers on
the road with him along with a super long extension cord so he is ready
to juice whenever and wherever he is. Again, he can't stress this
enough. Keep your juice next to you in the car, on your desk at work, in
the fridge, next to your computer while surfing the web or enjoying our
own Raw Food Rehab. Wherever you are -- your juice is there too!

2. Don't ever feel badly or like you have failed if you have to end your juice feast earlier than you had planned. Listen to YOUR body. Dave
said that because he had been overeating the SAD diet for soooo long and
to the point of weighing 430 pounds and had never eaten organically -
he suffered through some major detox when he went on his first juice
feasts. He had to slow things down a bit and would intersperse his
feasts with phase 1 of Gabriel Cousen's plan as outlined in "There is a
Cure for Diabetes". He may had to slow things down at first but as most
of you know, Dave went on to be a champion of and for juice feasting and
lost over 200 now pounds in the process!


Oh and Dave wants to give a huge shout out and send his love to Penni and RFR! He is really jazzed to hear about how many of us are juice
feasting now and even more thrilled to hear about how we are supporting
one another! Penni, Dave says it's time to come to Gods' country and pay
him a visit!

No comments: